Monday, December 7, 2020

December 7th Staff Meeting

Today's Staff Meeting is All about Staff Wellness!

Link to Google Meet Here

  There are 4 Sections:

1. Mindsets for Handling Stress, 2.  Practical Tools to Use to Reduce Stress, 3. Other Info Just to Know.. and 4. Fun 


Start here:  Introduction Video 

1.  Mindsets for Handling Stress

1.  Watch this video: Are you a carrot, an egg, or a coffee bean?

2.  Split into Breakout Rooms.  
Think about being a virtual teacher...you are a brand new teacher this year!  You have pressure from all angles.  Share with your group using a Timed pair Share which one you are...the carrot, egg or coffee bean...


4.  Clarifications of Intent of Email Communication: 
  • First rest assured:  There has been no discussion between Central Office and me about you at Paint Lick not doing your job.  Many of you will naturally be offended because you ARE working incredibly hard and you ARE doing your job.  That is understandable.  

  • BUT not everyone is like you:  I have discovered today that there are teachers within the district who stop Google class meets to have conversations with people in their homes all the time! They show up to meets looking like they just dragged out of bed, they eat breakfast in front of students...
  • We now have a superintendent who is an instructional leader:  We are not used to strong instructional leadership from our superintendent.  In a high performing district, a superintendent keeps an eye on instruction.  He/She does walkthroughs.  He questions the principal when something doesn't add up.  When he notices a trend across the district he will address it with everyone first to make sure that his expectations are clear.  That is not micromanagement.  That is not distrust.  That is strong instructional leadership from central office.  

It is absolutely normal to get on the defensive when you have had a week like you all have had and try to cast blame on others around you, but don't stay there if you want to find peace. If you stay in that place of anger, blame, and distrust you will tell yourself things that aren't true and will keep you in Fight or Flight like, "this is too much, I can't handle this, I just want this year to be over, what I do doesn't matter.."  

Think about the coffee bean.  Reframe the situation somehow.  For example, focusing on how the situation might allow you to warm and nurture someone else, is much better for your mental state.  

2.  Practical Tools

  • Identify Something you can let go.  Many of us amped up our schedules this week leaving little time for planning, grading, and video creation
    • Reduce the Videos--Making videos takes Forever!  Believe me I know!  I always have multiple, multiple, multiple takes.  It's okay to just make one video per subject per week that models your learning target.  It's better to focus your energy on the live interactions
    • Reduce the number of papers you are sending home--There has never been any expectation of a "packet." Or if they are doing the paper with you on a meet tell them to put a big star or check on it and NOT to send it back  
    • Let go of thoughts that do not serve you... I should...I should...
Add your thoughts to this document here....Something I can Let Go

A "one call" is going out this afternoon to talk about "Too Much Parent participation/Strategy Development  and the importance of their children connecting with you.

3.  Other Info Just to know:  

I was going to make this staff meeting all about getting you involved with CSIP development.  I decided to take it off MY plate and use the same one from last year because we are allowed to use the same one.  Here it is...
  
CSIP
CSIP Goals

Goal 1: Paint Lick Elementary will increase the percentage of students scoring at or above proficiency in reading and math to 70% in each content area by May 2022.  
Objective 1: By May 2020 64% of all students will be at least proficient in math
Objective 2: By May 2020 72.6% of all students will be at least proficient in reading.

Goal 2: To increase the Separate Academic Indicator from 85.8 to 88 by May 2022.
Objective 1: Writing proficiency will increase from 66.7% to 69% by May 2020.
Objective 2: Science proficiency will increase from 38.6% to 45% by May 2020.

Goal 3: Paint Lick Elementary will increase the percentage of students in identified gap groups scoring at or above proficiency in math to 50% by May 2022.
Objective 1: By May 2020 36% of students with disabilities will be at least proficient in math. 
Objective 2: By May 2020 37% of Hispanic students will be at least proficient in math. 
  • Curriculum meetings, monitoring, congruency, pd, formative assessment practices


4.  Check your Email for the Fun!  

I ran out of time before staff meeting!  I'll send it in an email!



No comments:

Post a Comment

 November 30th Announcements Schedule:    Common Assessments The teacher leaders will meet after school the week of Dec. 13th for a paid sc...