- Use Teamwork
- Have a Growth Mindset – Change is Necessary
- Have a “Whatever it Takes” attitude
- Help All Students feel Loved and Safe
- Support our Community/Family-Oriented Culture
- We are reflective about our practice and eager to grow
- We use best practices and differentiate
- We communicate with a customer service mindset
- We never give up or put limits on a child
- We collaborate with the intention of impacting our results and classroom practice
As we enter into the "Year of the Monkey," and I think about the four corners activity we did on opening day and the information I received from you about our strengths and weaknesses, I am energized by both where we are as a staff and the challenges that come before us.
I am reminded that our culture is built moment by moment. In every interaction we have with students, parents, and teachers, we either contribute to our culture or take from it. There are no neutral interactions. That's another reason why it is important to be crystal clear on your mission and/or your focus word. You can choose to go into a situation with the goal of being "right" or "justified" in your behavior, or you can go into it with the goal of advancing your vision.
Here are a few examples of teachers advancing our school-wide vision this week...
You can see Miss Evans here teaching her students how to transition between stations. If you look really carefully you can see the evidence of her teaching expectations on charts for how to be good listeners and the numbers showing her class where to line up. This careful attention to teaching procedures and expectations will definitely contribute to helping all students feel loved and safe.
Mr. Thompson uses humor to connect with his students..
I just had to use this picture, Mr. T!!!
In lots of places across our school, our teachers gave pre-tests to gauge where their students were to provide the bases for differentiation. Here you have Ms. Lewis doing just that...
...students were participating in getting to know you activities to build their classroom communities...check out the one Kaganized by Mrs. Thompson...
I know many of you do these types of things in your classrooms and just take it for granted because it's just "what you do." I want you to know, however, how much I appreciate all these little things you do to build the foundation for a high-level, safe, and nurturing classroom environment.
This year I hope to contribute and support the following principles by adding more "fun" and "special" moments for our students, community, and staff.
- Help All Students feel Loved and Safe
- Support our Community/Family-Oriented Culture
There are many traditions we will continue to observe like our Veteran's Day program and by handing out birthday stickers:

BUT we will also add some new traditions and celebrations! For example, we will be celebrating Grandparents Day this year in a big way. (More details to come) since we have SO MANY grandparents raising children.
Be on the lookout for more ideas and inspiration for adding the Monkey's gifts of humor and fun to our year and for when you can honor others for when they showcase the gifts of the monkey!
Thanks, once again, for what you do and for keeping an open mind for new experiences and ways we can Monkey-around this year.



No comments:
Post a Comment